Saturday 5 September 2009

A teary moment


It's back to school on Monday for Corey and I have mixed feelings on this. I know many mums will be leaping for joy but on the flip side of the coin I know many mums will be feeling like me. Whilst it has been hard work constantly entertaining a six year old and looking after a baby over these past 7 weeks, I know the house will be really quiet on Monday and I can't help feeling tinged with sadness when I realise that it is another year over. My baby is yet another year older.

I started to read this book by Fiona Neill entitled ' The Secret Life of a Slummy Mummy' and immediately I felt I could relate to her, so I thought I would write up a quick blog post on it. The first chapter had me reaching for the tissues as Fiona Neill writes about entering her sons room and finds them sleeping - a moment of stillness where she can observe the exact tilt of their nose or position of a freckle. She reaches for one of her sons hands and it instantly curls around her own, transporting her back to the first moment they were born and they done this and a surge of maternal love spilled over. She ponders that her 9 year old is already too big to sit on her lap and in a few years he will be lost to her completely. It prompted me to wonder how many other parents feel a surge of protective instinct and for their children at the start of a new term? And does it cause you to look back on how quickly the years go? It's quite scary.

I hope Corey really enjoys his new class and teacher on Monday but until then I will wait with baited breath...... If he's happy, I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment