Monday 2 May 2016

Review: Felt Wee Folk by Salley Mavor







From the minute I laid my hands on this book, it was like holding something magical.  As soon as I saw the front characters I wanted to create them, and when I opened the book and discovered how simplistic Salley had made the crafting
process I was desperate to give it a go for myself.  

Unlike many craft books which are purely used as reference books, this is a book that you simply want to digest from front to back.  Salley's every word is inspirational as she is so passionate about creating these little people.  Her instructions were very easy to follow and I loved how all the pictures in the book were actually in scale with how big the characters would turn out when you make them.
The main supplies you will need to get started with this hobby is a box of coloured felt, pipe cleaners, embroidery thread, wooden beads and wool fleece for the hair.

It's a fairly cheap hobby to get started with and I adore how Salley gives tips for using supplies from nature, such as acorn caps and seashells.  However, I have found Ebay a great resource if you need these things at the wrong time of year.

The hardest part of the project was definitely making the armature.  This involved covering pipe cleaners with embroidery thread. As this was my first ever attempt I wasn't 100% sure whether I was doing it correctly.  But it turned out well, next time I think I will be capable of making it look a bit tidier as I will know what I am doing.

The armature
For me the most amazing part of the project was when I started making the little felt clothes; I have never experienced this feeling whilst crafting before, but it felt like my creation was starting to come to life.  To make the clothes you either need some tracing paper or access to a scanner or photocopier.  I used my scanner and printer to print out the patterns and then used them as a template to cut around.

The clothes were so enjoyable to make! With the addition of seed beads, the clothes became so unique.
Once the clothes were made, it was time to move on to the head!  The book advises to put the head on to a chenille stem (pipe cleaner) to make it easier to paint.
At this point, you simply need to glue the head on and then the hair.  Finally, your character is completed!  
 I am hooked on this hobby and can't wait to complete more projects from the book.

Stay tuned for more photos of these enchanting little people!

If you are interested in making these people you definitely need to get hold of this book, as all the instructions, help and advice you could ever want is featured in this book.  With instructions for over 120 characters, this is a goldmine of a book if you want to get started with mini doll-making!  I don't think you appreciate until you make the dolls for yourself, how perfectly weighted they are - if you shut your eyes you can almost imagine you are holding a real little person.  

Once you have this book in your possession, the potential for creating characters is endless; whether you choose to make characters from books, characters to resemble your family or just your favourite fairytales the options are infinite.

You can then use them in dollhouses, make your own diorama, or make them as story props there is something to engage everyone's imagination.

Thoroughly enjoyed this book and I am sure you will too!
Enjoying the garden!
For more information please visit https://www.searchpress.com/book/9781607058861/felt-wee-folk-new-adventures

*This book was kindly provided to me to review by Search Press and I was delighted to be able to peruse it!

No comments:

Post a Comment