Sunday, 25 March 2012

Edible Book Festival: Aliens Love Underpants


I have been excitedly waiting to write this post from the minute I finished my creation, but the rules for the competition stated that you were required to wait until the 26th March before you created and linked up your post to remain anonymous to the judges. Anyway, here I am and feeling rather excited....

One of our favourite books is 'Aliens Love Underpants' and so when I first heard the novel idea of an Edible Book Festival it seemed only natural that my creation would be centred around this. (So please take note of the book cover above).

Here is my creation which I am really rather proud of. The best part about it was that my three year old son ate every bit of it. Admittedly this took a little while to create, but it was thoroughly enjoyable.

If you would like to know where I got my inspiration from for this creation, then please go and visit www.funkylunch.com

Since learning about Funky Lunch my son has excitedly requested different creations at each lunchtime and I have had the pleasure of creating them for him. I love it because it gives me a chance to be creative and the look on his face when I finish makes every minute spent making the sandwich worthwhile. And better than that every last bit gets eaten.

Here are some of my Funky Lunch creations:






So I was delighted to be given the opportunity to create my own "Funky Lunch" idea when I heard of the Edible Book Festival.

Keeping the 'Aliens Love Underpants' book by my side for reference I made the bodies of the aliens with ham sandwiches cut with circle cookie cutters. (If you are going to become a Funky Lunch fan then I strongly recommend investing in some cookie cutters.)

I then covered the one alien in strips of carrots to make him orange and decorated him with cheese, cucumber and red pepper. The other alien was also decorated with cheese, red pepper and cucumber.

I then cut the stars out of processed cheese using a mini star cutter, and a rocket shape with a rocket cutter. I cut out a semi-circle shape and added some holes for the moon.

And there you have it! I am looking forward to turning more books in to things you can eat in the future!




If you would like to get your hands on the wonderful book I have above, then please visit www.funkylunch.com

If you would like more info on 'Aliens Love Underpants' please visit http://www.aliensloveunderpants.com/

5 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! Amazing, just wish I'd had these examples of food preparation for my children when they were small......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, your aliens in underpants was actually one of the shortlisted entries for the Edible Book Festival - so congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your Alien Love Underpants entry. It really conveyed the essence of the book, with fun ingredients :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this entry and I love the other funky lunch ideas! Definately going to try this with my boy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are AWESOME!!! I'm going to try some of these out. They would be great for the birthday parties too. xxx

    ReplyDelete